About Control Tower
Control Tower, is an industry first online IR database. The product solves an ongoing problem in our industry as various vendor products and services converge to provide a total solution for control and automation in homes, businesses, and educational environments. Most manufacturers have their own particular IR codes for their hardware. A big challenge for the installer is the integration of diverse products, along with their particular proprietary protocols, including IR code sets for their devices. They can be learned through IR learning devices from various vendors, but nowhere is there an easily accessed and usable IR database of IR codes spanning all manufacturers and models, until now.
Control Tower has two types of customers: the software or system provider and the installer/integrator, or user. Global Caché’s IR database is available at no charge to installers and users. This service is for anyone, and can be utilized delivering up to 15 codes for unverified users and up to 5 code sets per day for verified users.The database solves an important challenge for installer/integrators that find themselves without critically needed IR codes and helps avoid expensive truck rolls and customer dissatisfaction when equipment is swapped out. Users can easily download the IR codes for new equipment and updates without the integrator being onsite.
Global Caché provides full integration of the IR database to our Strategic, VAR, and OEM partners at no charge, when they are driving Global Caché hardware. This eases the path for many new and established software and system companies entering the control/automation market. The ability to access and serve any equipment using IR codesets can cut a product providers time to market by months and years, and eliminates an unnecessary expense.
Control Tower is based upon an innovative database structure, eliminating redundancy of IR codes and providing a platform that is easily and simply searched and implemented. Conventional wisdom is to attach model numbers to each set of codes regardless of the amount of duplication that results from this approach. Control Tower has instead used a different convention that keeps the IR database complete, yet streamlined.
Control Tower follows a strict set of rules to ensure accurate code replacement whenever possible. This ensures a highly accurate method to exploit the device change process implemented within an installation or application. So in the case of swapping a satellite or cable device, the codes will substitute perfectly every time when using the “replace component” feature. This is possible when a database is carefully constructed to ensure uniform code labels are in place.
Lastly, Control Tower offers unique and convenient online access, and finally provides the solution that integrators have been asking for.
Types of Users
Any user that registers to use Control Tower is automatically designated an unverified user and has access to 16 codes per day. Unless a user requests to be verified or is deemed suspicious or is a known fraudulent user, an unverified account is the default and will remain open and usable. Users receive codes by email to the email account used to register.
When registering for an account on Control Tower, users can request to be upgraded to a verified (or approved) user, by providing verifable contact information and selecting "Request Verified Account" on the registration form. Verified user can download up to 5 code sets per day. Users receive codes by email to the email account used to register.
All VAR, OEM, and Strategic Alliance partners are qualified for access to Control Tower and for integration of our products for internal and customer use. Partners access Control Tower through the API. For more information on partner access, please contact our Partner program .
How to Use the Database
The IR Database is designed to allow you to search for IR Codes in a database of devices. You can acquire either individual codes, or an entire code set for a selected device
Codes are sent to the e-mail address you registered with. You must be logged in using a valid e-mail address in order to receive codes.
How to read an IR code in an email
The body of the email will contain the function, code1 and code2. code2 will often be blank.
code set: 123 function: ENTER code1: sendir,1:1,1,40244,1,1,96,23,48,23,48,23,23,23,48,23,23,23... hexcode1: ... code2: ... hexcode2: ...
code1 and code2 provide the IR Codes for the selected device and function, in the Global Caché IR code format.
How to read a code set in an email
The body of the email will contain csv data, which looks like:
function,code1,hexcode1,code2,hexcode2 "CC","sendir,1:1,1,40244,1,1,96,23,48,23,48,23,23,23,48,23,48...","0000 0100 ...",, "CHANNEL DOWN","sendir,1:1,1,40244,1,1,96,23,48,23,23,23,23,23...","0000 0200 ...",,etc.
The first line provides column headers. Columns are separated by commas, and codes and functions within their column will be enclosed in double quotes.
The easiest way to read this is to copy it into a text editor, and save it with the extension "csv" (for instance, it could be saved as "ircodes.csv"). Then open the resulting file in excel.
How to search for IR Codes:
- From the main page, search for a brand, by enter a few or more letter of the brand name, and then select the desired brand from the list of suggestions that appears.
- Then select an available device type from the next drop down (if only one is available it will be selected automatically).
- Then select an available model from the next drop down (If only one is available it will be selected automatically).
- If you which get the entire code set: Click the “Send Code Set” Button
- If, instead, you want get only one code: Select a Function from the next drop down, and click “Send Code”
- Once either the “Send Code” or “Send Code Set” button have been pressed, an email will be sent with the requested codes.
How to register for an account:
- Click ”register” at the upper right of the page.
- Enter an email address and password. This must be a valid e-mail address, as it is where IR Codes will be sent.
- Click Register, and you will automatically be logged in.
How to login to an existing account:
- Click “Log in” at the upper right of the main page.
- Enter your email address and password, and click “Log in”
How to log out:
- Click "log out" in the upper right.
How to change your password:
- Click your e-mail address in the upper right.
- Enter your current and new password, and click “Change Password”
How to recover a lost password:
- Click “Log in”, in the upper right
- At the bottom of this page, click “recover it here”.
- Enter your email address and click “Recover Password”
- You will receive an email containing a link to reset your password. Click the link in the e-mail, or copy and paste it into your browser’s address bar.
- Enter a new password, and click “Change Password” (You must now log in with your new password before requesting ir codes)